Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Final Post

With so much that has been happening, I haven't had the opportunity to post. Many apologies for this being after the semester, but I would like to say one final goodbye from my house in England! I also promised Melanie some graduation photos!

Firstly, graduation was a really fitting end to the two years. I was really moved by the President's speech along with the Student speakers, who had overcome such adversity with cancer battles to achieve. It was brilliant having some loved ones in the crowd cheering my name, when I went up to get my diploma. There could not have been a more beautiful venue overlooking the ocean, it really begun to sink in how lucky I had been to go here. I also felt a sense of achievement, not too long ago I was told I would need three years at CC before transferring. There weren't the finances to do this, nor did my visa allow, so I did everything in my power to cram in as many classes, assess into a higher math, so I could celebrate this day in May 2014. I am immensely proud to have gone to CC, to be part of a community that continually pushes you to thrive, grow in confidence, and open doors for you if you work for it. I can't wait to visit in the future! Aftwards, my dad took us to dinner at El Encino Hotel, above the Mission, it has lovely views over SB and was a really yummy celebration dinner.






However, the celebrations came to an abrupt end on our way home with the news of what had occurred in Isla Vista that night. After seeing numerous ambulances drive past my house, I felt heartbroken by the news of what had occurred just a few moments from my house. There are no words to describe how shocked, heartbroken, angry I have felt ever since. I cannot imagine the grief that the families and loved ones of the victims feel.
But, the Isla Vista community is incredibly close knit, regardless of whether you go to CC or UCSB, it is a friendly hub of students. It will heal and continually support one another in this time. Leaving the following morning in the wake of this, was incredibly surreal. It was not a news story for us, it was something terrible that had occurred in our home.There was an uncomfortable silence all around and the grey clouds seemed as if they were mourning too. The emotional goodbyes were said with even a little more heart, and I was on my way. I think now more than ever, it is extremely important to remember to love and appreciate our loved ones and life. Isla Vista and CC will always stay with me. If anyone needs any support , please refer to CC Pipeline email with support services and help listed.



The following two days were spent in Berkeley. I loved campus, the surrounding area and of course San Francisco. I toured an apartment complex, I may live at which is very modern and just a block from campus. Campus is beautiful, which you can see from the pictures. I can't wait to start in late August, i'm sure there will be challenges that await but i'm ready to have a great time at my dream school! I have just arrived back in England, luckily with so many errands in Berkeley, the highs and lows of graduation night, and four finals, I slept the entire plane ride. I don't think i've ever hugged my family so tight.
On a final note, I have enjoyed writing this for the past year, it has been a really adventure. I hope you all have a great summer, and if you are starting at CC, enjoy! Or continuing at CC, I will always be a little bit envious, but enjoy and best of luck for the future!
Helena x








1 comment: