Friday, October 25, 2013

Midterm Nerves

Don't let midterms do this to you!
I haven't been able to blog as of late due to so many exams! I was actually discussing with a friend the other day, how I am a huge sufferer of exam nerves, as is he. From my experience, most people are absolutely fine about exams. However, I am the complete reverse! I am paralyzed with fear, I really want to do well and this does eat away at me. Exams here are less intense than my British exams, but I still put a lot of pressure upon myself. So if you are in the same boat, here are some tips.

1) Breathe and Believe- Everyone always says just breathe, relax, it will be fine. For some reason this never sinks in for me! But what I have been trying to do, is plug my headphones in for a few minutes before I go in and just breathe slowly in and out. Music really helps too! And most importantly, you have to believe that you can do this, you will do well. I try to tell myself again and again, 'Helena it is going to be okay, you do know the content'.

2) Acceptance- I accept that i'm going to be nervous prior to the exam, and for about the first five minutes of the exam. It is my body pumping adrenaline, and preparing to either fight or flight. What is really important, I find is to literally just go with the flow! I know it is going to be horrid, that I might not think I can go to the exam/take the exam, but I will and it will be okay. If you continually tell yourself this, it does go in.

3) Plan- With the knowledge that the first few minutes, I will be a bit of a mess my thoughts are not going to produce a great essay from the outset. So, I try to spend the first few minutes planning what the essay is going to entail. Which points am I going to make, just so i'm focused. My favorite English teacher always said if you do not plan, the essay is all over the place. Especially, if you are nervous this is a good way to ease yourself into the exam.


4) Perspective- I think the cause for most exam nerves is pressure. If one thinks that an exam such a make or break situation, it seems so much worse. I am guilty of always doing this! Truth is, most times even if you do not perform there are other opportunities to bring your grade up. Also it is just an exam! Yes it is important, but it is not meant to cause you overwhelming stress. It is simply to test you on how well you've understood what has been going on. (I write this and need to take this advice myself the majority of times!)

5) Do something fun to celebrate! All that hard work you have put in, all the days of stress, reward yourself. Last night, myself and the roommates went to see Katy Perry and Ellie Goulding at the Hollywood Bowl. It was absolutely fantastic. This is the best way to let your hair down and pat yourself on the back! Doesn't need to be as elaborate as a concert but enjoy yourself! Take a break!


No comments:

Post a Comment