Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Travelling Continued..



Thailand was really quite different. We started off by visiting the North a place called Chaing Mai, which is literally the jungle but a huge city has been built within. Unfortunately here I was struck down by a mystery illness. However I persevered, I wanted to see what Chaing Mai had to offer really regardless of how I felt! The highlight had to be visiting 'Tiger Kingdom' which has wild tigers of all ages in enclosures and here you can touch them, lay on them and have your photo taken with them. We were apprehensive because we thought it was going to be a cruel place, it seemed really quite nice and the tigers were much wilder than we thought. There was one hairy moment, a huge tiger looked into my eyes and the keepers just looked at me, as if to say "errr...you might want to run!" But regardless it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.


Then we moved onto the south of Thailand to the islands, called Koh Samui and Koh Tao. Unfortunately by this point I was really quite unwell and was rushed to hospital on arrival to the islands. I had to stay in hospital for 3/4 days in the end at first they thought it was a nasty virus, then they suspected that it was Typhoid or Salmonella poisoning. Unfortunately this is one of the negatives about going to these types of places, you never know what you might pick up. It is only now looking back on it that I realize how seriously sick I was. However even though it was a brutal time, I was determined that I would enjoy the rest of my trip. After my stay we ventured to Koh Tao on a 4 hour boat ride, literally waves coming over the top of the boat! Koh Tao was paradise, it has one road running throughout the island that it is. Hardly anyone lives there, the beaches are bare and it was my favorite place. I will never forget the nights we spent there. The bars were literally on the beach with just bean bags for seats, watching the sunsets and the fire dancers into the early hours. Before I mentioned how lots of British teens head out to Thailand, in Koh Tao every single person we met was from our hometown, such a small world. My highlight here was the snorkelling however, I absolutely love snorkelling always have. Here it was brilliant, the coral was beautiful, the range of fish was stunning and even a few sand sharks were spotted.


Without a doubt a trip with some highs and lows but an experience none the less. Literally some of the funniest moments came out of this trip just trying to order room service where no one speaks a word of English was an experience in itself. I strongly encourage anyone if they have a few months off just to go somewhere with your friends, of course be careful it can be nerve racking but it is just so worth it. You definitely appreciate what you have all the more and such a larger horizon of what the world is like.

















No comments:

Post a Comment