Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Common Application

I also wanted to share some advice on what i've found in applying to private schools. If you are doing the Common Application for these schools and need to assign a Registar, follow this link
http://www.sbcc.edu/transfercenter/Revised%20Instructions%20for%20the%20Transfer%20Registrar%20Report.pdf 
Also, if you want Transfer help and to speak to a really good person, I would recommend Angela Warren at the Transfer Academy. You need to make an appointment with her personally, in which you can discuss your options and get everything in place.

I just put in for my degrees from SBCC, I hope to get a Political Science one and a Liberal Arts degree. I found the application for this quite confusing, so here are some links to help you out. To find which degrees you may be able to get, you need to do a DARS Audit. https://www.sbcc.edu/dars/ This takes all the classes you've taken and sees which degrees you can get.  Below is my favorite British singer at the moment, Sam Smith, if you love some relaxing music at this point of the semester, he's your man.



I don't have any experience in applying to CSU's but when applying to UC's I would explore the options of 'TAG'. Where you can get admission to a certain UC as long as you follow the classes they want you to take. I've done it for Davis, and it is a great backup. I would also advise joining the Transfer Academy, just because they constantly email you about field trips to the UC's and meetings to help you with your application. Whilst the UC deadline for Fall 2014, is the end of November, the private school deadlines don't tend to be until April 1st. So you have to make sure you are prepared to write more personal statements around March time, if you are going to apply to both. Personally, I found this such a struggle. I think I found that my motivation really dropped to write new personal statements. So be realistic in where you want to go, don't just apply for the sake of applying. I am a firm believer that admissions can really tell if you are just applying for no reason. But don't limit yourself with schools, i've applied to seven, I think. Perhaps this is a little high and 3/4 is fine but it's up to you. Also, don't be afraid to expand your options, if finances allow, there are amazing places on the East Coast too, you don't have to be limited to California. But this is of course the best place to study! And finally, the best piece of advice I can give is just not to talk about transferring after you've applied. It will dominate conversation with everyone, everyone you speak to, but only if you let it. It literally will then consume you and make you worry so much, so the best thing is literally continue with your life and just live day to day, and talk about something far more interesting! Hope this helps a little.



No comments:

Post a Comment