Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Huge Relief

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all having a good week.

I am a little worse for wear after the most incredible weekend of my life at Coachella. I will separately post about this when I have all the pictures together. But I just wanted to share some good news with you. Whilst at Coachella the UCLA decisions were released. I frantically ran to the charging station to get some life to my phone, and then tried to log into the UCLA website to find out my decision. After ten painstaking minutes, trying to find my ID number, I found out that I have been accepted to the Political Science Program at UCLA for Fall 2014. I can honestly say this is one of the happiest moments of my life. I was surrounded by two of my closest friends, and I let out tears of happiness and relief. I have wanted to attend a UC and really UCLA since I was 11. I don't think even for a moment I thought i'd actually get in, i'm full of self doubt, and i've had to check that i've got in about 20 times since Saturday. The last few weeks I decided that the only way to cope with the worry and the stress of not knowing, was just to convince myself that I hadn't been accepted so to save myself the downfall.   

Whilst these last two years have been extremely hard work to try and put myself into a position where I would be accepted, it has 100% been worth it. And I know my parents regularly read this and i've said it over Skype, but I would just like to say a huge thank you for their continued support, everything I am, is because of them and the fact they have given me the opportunity to even apply, I will very much always be grateful for. I don't think for people that knew me a few years ago that they or myself would ever think this was a feasible reality, but it's strange how things turn out.

 I do have one final school that I am waiting to hear back from, which is one of my top choices also, but for now I am just going to relish this moment! As my mum said, now I can have a decent nights sleep without waking up worrying! So now I enter my final few weeks of Santa Barbara living and of course this blog. I hope my final posts can give some long lasting advice and the emotional day of leaving is now fast approaching. Scary, but also exciting, I am excited for this new path, but I will be visiting SB a lot because I adore a lot of people here. Well, I will post later on this week when I have a little more energy, but for now have a great rest of your week! Enjoy the sunshine if you're in SB! And if you are still waiting to hear back from places good luck, everything always has a funny way of turning out!

Few tips for applying to your dream school:
1) Get involved- if they want to see leadership, if they want to see you are more than just grades, get involved in things to do with your major, or not but do something!
2) A's don't hurt, strive to achieve as higher grades that you can, even if you are not straight A's, keep working at it will pay off.
3) Choose a major you love, that you feel passionately about, it shows in your personal statement.
4) Research the school, what do they want, what are they looking for, are you right for them?
5) Acceptance or Rejection- know that if you put the hard work in that is the most important thing. But mostly BELIEVE in yourself, if I had some more of that over the last two years, I would have been a lot happier! Good Luck! Nothing is impossible!








4 comments:

  1. We are so proud of you! Nice job! Congrats! Keep up the hard work! Yeah, Helena!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooohoo! Well done! We are so happy for you. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!! I'm SO happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete