Saturday, February 8, 2014

Morning

Hello everyone. Hope you had a good week.
I'm up early this morning watching the Rugby because England are playing Scotland in the Six Nations. This is a tournament where England, France, Scotland, Italy and Wales, play each other over six weeks. My family are quite big rugby fans, especially my brother who is incredibly good at it. There are a couple of boys who have made the English squad, who grew up in the same area as me, so we are anxious to support them. It's a bit like American Football, but without pads/any protection, and without any stops. Anyway we are 13-0 up, so we should win! Weather still looks gross back home, the stadium pitch is so muddy, and the clouds look really grey. I also hear SBCC has a really good rugby team, learn something new everyday. Below is the song that every English fan holds very dear!


I watched 'Following' directed by Christopher Nolan for Film Studies this week. It was really low budget, but really perplexing and cleverly done. I am missing doing any Political Science, so I am avidly searching for a cheap Kindle. There are about 25 books I would like to read, incredibly nerdy I know. However, this could be my last semester by the beach, so reading on the beach has to be made top priority!


Possibly the best thing to come out of this week, is the starting of the Pangea Club. We formed this as a sort of olive branch of the International Ambassadors. Anyway, I'm super excited to be President of this. For me it's my way of saying thank you for all SBCC has helped me with. In two years, my confidence has grown a lot. I arrived here age eighteen a bit fragile from various traumatic domestic issues, and really quite lost. I don't think two years ago, I would sit down in class and introduce myself to people around me. But over these two years, even with the highs and lows, i've been able to excel socially and academically. So i'd like to help others do this too.

Basically what we want to do is get new International/domestic students meeting each other in an informal setting, asking any advice they need from us as mentors, arranging trips to show them California, and hopefully them go on to be ambassadors. We have lots of exciting ideas of what we would like to do, from sponsoring children in some of our native countries, to bringing in food from wherever is home, play sports (I hope tennis!) and a possible trip to San Diego. If any of the above sounds appealing, we will be at Club Day on the 19th, and we meet EVERY FRIDAY at 2-3pm outside the CC 226, the decking area. Hope to see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment