Monday, February 24, 2014

Opportunities

Hello everyone,
It's nice that it's the weekend already again.
I managed to get involved in a new project this week with Professor Haupt and the International Studies Association. Haupt asked the Ambassadors and Pangea Club, if they'd be willing to be part of a research project into Cultural Globalization. Basically looking at how well international students fit into College life, what they think of America, and in turn what Americans think of International students. Really trying to answer the question, how interconnected is America to the rest of the world?
So we got together this week to brainstorm some questions, identify who we are going to ask on campus and hopefully arrange a video of some willing participants. I'm quite willing to get involved with this because this type of thing does quite interest me and I really miss taking major related classes.

I also enjoyed a nice evening up in the mountains this week. It's a place called Cold Springs Tavern, maybe half an hour drive up the mountains. Go before sunset and then you can watch the sunset over the entire coastline of Santa Barbara, it was really nice. And the place has log fires, it reminds me of an English Pub a lot, really cosy, close atmosphere with meals that reminded me of my families cooking. I also went to the Butterfly preserve today just slightly north of Isla Vista, it is really relaxing. There's quite a few huge butterflies in the forest and if you continue walking you reach the ocean.

I'm feeling pretty tired at the moment, sometimes College can feel like a balancing act. But i'm very excited to go to the Oscar's ceremony rehearsal next Saturday. My Dad luckily works a lot with production and the film industry, so he was able to get me and one of my friends inside! As for the Pangea Club, things are going well, we have new members and are currently thinking about sponsoring a Syrian child. This week the Ambassadors have organized a language exchange program with over 170 people attending. I think this is a very good opportunity for students to meet others with the same language skill set as them, or to learn a new language.

I've also been watching the conflict in Ukraine quite avidly, as last semester my research paper was on predicting the events that would occur in Ukraine after the EU decision. This was when the President of Ukriane, or ex-President now, decided to side with Russia instead of the European Union, which amounted in the conflict we have seen since. Now after weeks of protests, and shocking scenes of siege, the President is gone and a warrant for his arrest has been made. However, Russia of course will not be happy with this turn of events. They don't want to see Ukraine forming an alliance with the West, this is now considerably likely with new elections and a new government being formed in the upcoming months. I think what is most noticeable here is how the pressure of the people led to a revolution. I think the President thought that once his decision was made with Russia, the people would take it because they would see how the deal on gas could benefit. However, it was not enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment