Monday, February 17, 2014

Unexpected Moments

Hi all,
I hope you are enjoying this lovely long weekend.
I've just been Skyping my mum back home, and she was telling me they had no power again for sixteen hours. The weather is showing no let up in the South of England, I think she definitely needs a visit. Basically, where we live in Surrey is one of the 'home counties' meaning it is directly surrounding London. So when huge storms come, as they have since December because of whats going on on the East Coast of the US, the Thames flood bank is raised. This means that the area of London is protected, but that the Home Counties then flood. It is getting pretty serious with the winds and buildings collapsing, so I really hope it passes. I'm not likely to send any pictures of the lovely weather we've had over here this weekend.

I went on my first Field Trip with CC this week, to Elling's park and the Douglas Preserve. It was a bit different from my school trips growing up. Really beautiful scenery, I am anxious to see as much as I can of SB, before I leave. The mountains on one side and the coastline on the other, is so beautiful, makes me never want to leave. It is also ironic because we were being taught about the drought that California is experiencing, when back home it's the complete opposite. But it was noticeable how barren the land looked across SB. My Professor was definitely anxious about a possible forest fire occurring soon.


Head Chef of Trattoria with Obama
In other news, I went to Butterfly Beach in Montecito and it is so nice. I think Montecito must be the nicest place i've ever been. I was also lucky enough to spend the evening there at Trattoria Mollie, on Valentines day. I was treated to a lovely meal, it's very Italian inside and a lovely atmosphere, so if you ever feel you want a luxurious evening, this is very much a good spot. Also, with a lot more spare time this semester, at last, I really like going on bike rides around Isla Vista. There are a lot of trails that take you out of Isla Vista and past 'Sands Beach', it is really pretty and good exercise. I've given up with running, I am really lazy if I don't have a dog. I keep trying not to think about transferring, there is a lot of worry surrounding it. I don't know where I will be accepted, I have to move my furniture somehow, make new friends, completely new start. I am definitely revelling in the possibility of being part of a four-year place academically, but i'm really going to miss it here. I think the best tactic is just to enjoy my time left here, and just let things pan out as they will. One thing I sorted is to spend part of Spring Break at Salt River, Arizona, hopefully tubing.  I am a huge worrier, so i'm sure the next two months will be full of sleepless nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment