Thursday, September 26, 2013

Follow on

Hi guys,
Elstead


After my last post I thought it might be quite interesting if you were able to see where I was from. People always ask me, does your home look like Santa Barbara? What is different?
So with this post, I'll try and show you a few different things.

This to the left, is the village of Elstead, Surrey. This is where I live, it is a tiny village with about a thousand residents. Here you can see the green and the local village shop. Elstead is about thirty miles south of London. The main town in Surrey is Guildford and surrounding Guildford is lots of small villages. Fun Fact: Harry Potter lives in Surrey whenever he is staying with the Dursleys! My family has lived here for about eight years.

The Woolpack


This is the local village pub, called the Woolpack. Pubs are really big features in each village in England. English people love what is known as a Sunday Roast. This is literally a Thanksgiving dinner but on a smaller scale, every Sunday. Occasionally we will eat this at a Pub. Working at the Woolpack was actually my first ever job, waitressing! My favorite pub is in Guildford, called Pews. It is really popular with young people and has a huge outside courtyard with a bar.


This is me at Downton Abbey. This is actually where they film the majority of the outside and the inside scenes for the hit show. It's quite close to my house, so I visited over Summer. As you can see the weather was not great! But it is actually a beautiful house, it went into disrepair before the show but the show has rejuvenated it so the owners can afford to redo it. The whole of the third floor was water damaged and it lies in thousands and thousands of acres of grounds, so you can imagine the millions it costs each year in upkeep!
Downton Abbey

Guildford High Street
This is the High Street of Guildford which is basically the equivalent to State Street. The High Street dates back to the 1600's and is lined with cobbles. Shops range Armani and Hugo Boss to Topshop and H&M. Just a minute walk from the High Street is the remains of a Norman Castle, so the town is really quite historical.


View over the Surrey Hills 
This is a view over the Surrey Hills. This is my mum's favorite place to walk our dog. It is really beautiful, rain or shine! Surrey is a really expensive place to buy a house because of views like this but also because it is so close to London.



Surrey Roads

This is what most of the roads around me look like. It is quite difficult to drive as they are extremely narrow. They most definitely were not built for two cars and can prove really treacherous in the ice and snow.








Last but not least.. here are a few snaps of my Mum, youngest brother and I when we first got out 6 month old puppy. In the one with my Mum you can just about see our house, and that is our back yard we are lying in. 
Mum and Puppy


Little brother and puppy



This is a Youtube video for the new 'Reality' show called Surrey Hills. It is meant to be like the US 'Hills'. Here is one guy audtioning, he is very extreme and most of us are not like this! But this is the Surrey stereotype! 

No comments:

Post a Comment