Sunday, September 22, 2013

Ups and Downs

It seems most appropriate to give some advice on my experience with homesickness this week.
Why? Earlier this week, I did have a bit of a lull. I felt my family and friends needed me and I couldn't be there at this tough time for them. Personally, I am lucky enough to have not struggled too much with homesickness over the past year or so. However it does come about every now and then. For me the down times seem to be when I arrive back in SB from going home, or if there is something going on at home and I should be there. But I feel that there are some ways to make it a little easier in the times when you do feel low.
I think the most important thing to remember is that it is completely and utterly normal to feel homesick. For most of us this is our first time away from home, and it sometimes is hard and lonely. But homesickness is by no means a weakness. It really is just your mind saying "I'm pretty sad at the moment so give me a break!". In my opinion once you accept that this is how you're feeling at the moment your body automatically relaxes a bit more. Then I usually try and stay quite busy. Luckily my roommates are really funny. For the most part I don't want to discuss how i'm feeling i'd rather just laugh and joke about, my mind is then taken off the matter. Also plan some events at the weekend, I went to a concert last weekend and Ventura for some shopping this weekend. It really, really helps! I think Skype is a savior in itself, so if you are international make sure you have that on your phone. Better still it's completely free! Additionally, if you have a date in mind that you are either going home or someone is visiting, you have that to look forward too. But lastly, what I find most beneficial is going down to the beach with your friends in the evening and watch the sunset. Santa Barbara is the most beautiful place i've ever been too. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself how lucky you are to be here and to have this opportunity. Everything always seems better when you imagine having to study in the months of cold and rain back home!
My Mum and I when she visited- October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment