Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fourth Week...

Well here we go into the fourth week of the semester. Time seems to be flying by i've now been back in the country for five weeks already. I just had my first test of the semester in Math, a subject that doesn't really come easy to me. I'm sticking with it, utilizing the Math Lab on campus and the SBCC Math tutor that is available for our class over the weekends. Both have been really helpful for homework problems and general concepts. I would say the Math Lab can get quite busy, so using the tutor that is available for your class seems to me to be the best option. Eventually I will get there!
On this subject, I thought it might be helpful to tell you what I have found useful to make sure you are successful in classes.
1) Keeping up with reading: Most of my classes have been heavy reading. If I don't keep up with the reading I have no idea what is going on in class. Also ignoring the reading means it's a lot of reading right before midterms/finals (nightmare!)
2) Office hours: I went to the Professor in a few of my classes over the past year. I tended to ask how I could improve and any advice for the exams. This was useful and shows your teacher you want to do well.
3) Using the subject tutor: I remember last semester I was battling with an assignment for anthropology, I really did not understand what to do. So I went to the subject tutor, spent a few hours going over the assignment and it was sorted.
4) Balance: I think key to real success at SBCC is ensuring you have a work/life balance. I think early on I realized that this is a new country, it is going to be harder for a little while. But I thought okay, I will put the hard work in and it will eventually pay off but there was then the tendency to overwork. I came to SBCC for the lifestyle as well as the education. Of course, you don't want the opposite whereby all you do is have fun and ignore your studies. But it was really unhealthy when I was overworking and I simply wasn't happy. As long as you allow yourself time off, time to go to the beach, see your friends, do whatever you enjoy.. You will feel like you can achieve more!

My view after the Math test.. unreal!

No comments:

Post a Comment